Innovation Fund - application hints & tips
- Remember what the Fund is about; providing funding to test ideas out and allow 'proof of concept' for potentially taking an idea into the mainstream.
- Think critically about your idea and your application; could this idea be funded through existing service budgets and you just haven't asked the question? If you are not sure ask your budget holder and get your Finance Business Partner involved.
- Be clear about what you are trying to achieve and how you will measure that. The Panel need to be clear that the award has a clear purpose and that you will know when you have achieved it.
- Don't be disheartened if the Panel don't approve your application - it doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea! We have found that the Panel have been able to direct applicants towards more appropriate funding sources or ensured that ideas that are part of other initiatives are linked together in a cohesive way that can improve the value and impact of an idea.
- Be wary of applications seeking funding for building or environmental works. We aren't saying these would never be approved, but there are already existing funding streams for capital improvement works and these should be explored first.
- Make sure you complete all the sections of the application form - it will get rejected if you haven't done so.
- If your application is successful you will be expected to attend a deliver planning session to help you to outline your implementation plan, provide updates and a final assessment against your aims. Be prepared for this; use quality improvement thinking and the resources available in the organisation to help.